Sunday, June 28, 2009

Wow what a difference 16 hours in a plane makes!

It's hard to believe that after only a 16 hour flight, we can be on the other side of the planet! Especially as we were in business class due to my hubby's amazing obsession with air miles :-)

We had an awesome flight from Toronto to Hong Kong, then a bit of a wait for a ferry from the Hong Kong airport to Macau. It as absolutely pouring with rain when we arrived, and I was concerned about the ferry crossing.

The one thing that threw us off guard was how serious they are taking the H1N1 outbreak. We had to fill out a form declaring our health - although we didn't really need it as we didn't end up going through immigration.

The second we arrived and walked off the plane, many people had face masks on. To be honest it was a little disconcerting. Most of the people working at the airport had them on. And it made it hard to understand people. We couldn’t see their lips, and they seemed to talk quietly.

Apparently Hong Kong and Macau were experiencing a Typhoon 3. It was some intense rain!

I have to say that they have things very organized at the Hong Kong airport. We got off the plane, had a short walk to the Turbojet desk to buy our ferry tickets. We gave them our baggage claim tickets and they transferred our bags to the ferry for us.

We didn't have to go through the health check or through immigration -we went through another security check which didn't make sense to us, but what do we know.

We sat for a couple of hours checking our email on the free Wi-Fi, and then got on a bus that took us to the ferry terminal.

We chose super class as it wasn't much more it cost and Warren isn't a fan of boats, it was a good choice. We got to sit upstairs on the ferry, many less people they served a snack (it tasted like an egg/tuna salad sandwich on a a sweet bun, a yogurt, a mousse like dessert, and an orange drink-much like a McDonald's orange drink we used to get as kids).

The ride was rough due to the Typhoon. But it was only 45 min. I crashed and don't remember much of the ride. I only had 2-1 hour naps on the plane and it was 4:30 in the morning after all. Well for me anyway. Warren got about 4 hours sleep so be was doing much better.

The best part of the super class was that we got off the boat first. That allowed us to be first in line at immigration. We were shocked by how many people came in the line after us. It was crazy!

The silliest part of the whole journey was what came next... The porters took our bags off the ferry and then brought them to a waiting crowd of people. We hadn't seen our bags since Toronto so we were concerned when after the first 4 carts our bags weren't there.

Thankfully they came on the next cart and we were off....

No comments: