Go to the beach?
Rent a cottage?
Go to Florida?
What about something a little different. Take a Family Learning Vacation?
Take a vacation where you all learn a skill like scuba diving or skiing?
What about a vacation where your kids will learn about a new culture – maybe a culture they learned in school?
Do your kids love dinosaurs? Take them on a dig for fossils in the American badlands or Alberta Canada.
Whatever you choose it can be a very rewarding experience for you and your kids. Imagine the family bonding as you learn about something together?
I know…I can hear your kids now – I don’t want to learn! I want to have fun! I learn at school why would I want to do it on vacation? This is why it is important to keep the following points in mind while planning your learning vacation.
- Make sure you plan a balance between fun and learning – remember you are on vacation – it should be fun!
- Make sure the whole family is interested in the activities, destinations and experiences.
- Before you go, show the kids where they are going. This will get them excited about the holiday. Rent movies or read books about the destination or experience.
- Take your kids on a sample activity before you go to make sure everyone will enjoy it. For example go to the museum or take a sample scuba diving class.
- Keep your expectations in check – not all kids will love what you plan – so don’t get your hopes up or expect your kids to love it, you may be disappointed.
- Learning may come from simple places, like interacting with locals, or eating local food.
- Look to experts for advice or ideas – look for tour operators that offer these types of holidays for inspiration or to organize your vacation.
- Be creative or do it yourself, look for learning opportunities everywhere. Who knows what your kids can learn, even on a drive to Grandma’s house. Are there places you can stop so your kids have the chance to learn?
If a learning vacation doesn’t fit with your plans, what about a themed vacation – Are you kids big fans of Harry Potter or Twilight? What about a movie location tour.
For more inspiration on a different type of vacation with your family - check out Themed Vacations for Kids.